Lube3000 is the only location in Gwinnett with a Two-Speed Idle (TSI) [dyno style] emission inspection station. – those older than 1996, a two-speed idle (TSI) test for vehicles, that can not be tested using ASM testing sequences.
Lube 3000 is certified under the Georgia Clean Vehicle and Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) Program. Georgia’s I/M program, known as Georgia’s Clean Air Force (GCAF), helps our area work towards attaining federal clean air standards.
A 1993 to 2014* model year gasoline-powered car or light-duty truck (gross-vehicle weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less) registered in Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, Dekalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding or Rockdale County.
All of the following criteria must be met to qualify for Senior Exemption.
- You are 65 years of age or older
- Your vehicle is 10 model years old or older (2006 model year or older)
- You drive less than 5000 miles per year
You or a proxy may apply at your county tag office, at any GCAF Service Center, by email, fax or mail.
If a car fails the emissions test, it isn’t the end of the world. In older vehicles, it could be something as simple as needing a tune up or replacing the spark plugs. In newer vehicles it may require small adjustments within the vehicles emissions system or updates to the computer module. Lube 3000 is prepared to analyze and fix most emission failures.
While the test is often regarded as a hassle to comply with the law, it is also a useful tool in determining the overall health of the engine. Lube 3000 is Georgia Licensed Emissions Tester and can ensure your vehicle is eco friendly.
For more questions and answers please visit CleanAirForce.com or phone 800-449-2471
Which vehicles have to be tested?
For 2016 vehicle registration, if your vehicle is a 1992 – 2013 model year gasoline-powered car or light-duty truck (8,500 pounds gross vehicle weight rating or less) registered in Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding or Rockdale County, it must be emissions tested.
The three most recent model year vehicles are exempt from emissions testing each year. For registration in 2017, this includes all 2014 and newer model year vehicles.
Additionally, vehicles that are 25 model years or older are exempt from emissions testing. This includes 1992 or older model year vehicles.
If you are late renewing your registration for your birthday in 2015, your vehicle will be tested according to the 2015 rules.
Things to remember:
- A vehicle’s model year is the year the vehicle was built as designated by the vehicle manufacturer.
- Certain exemptions and extensions may apply to your vehicle (see below).
- Motorcycles, recreational vehicles (RVs) and motor homes do not require emissions testing for registration.
- Diesel vehicles do not require emissions testing for registration
View the 2017 registration renewal insert for more details.
What types of exemptions and extensions are available?
Aside from Repair Waivers, you may qualify for certain extensions or exemptions from testing, such as:
- Senior Exemption – Seniors 65 years old or older whose vehicle meet certain additional requirements may be eligible for a Senior Exemption.
- Out-of Area-Extension– If you and your vehicle are temporarily located well outside of the metro Atlanta area because you are a student, in the military or have business obligations, you may qualify for an Out-of-Area Extension.
- Antique Collector Vehicles – Vehicles 25 model years old or older are exempt from emissions testing. For registration in 2016, this includes vehicle model years 1991 and older.
Do alternative fueled vehicles require an emissions inspection?
Dedicated alternative fueled vehicles are vehicles that can only operate on alternative fuel and are not capable of operating on gasoline. These vehicles do not require an emissions inspection.
The following vehicles are considered alternative fuel vehicles and do not require an emissions inspection:
- Dedicated vehicle types that operate only on:
- Natural Gas
- Battery Electricity
The following vehicles are not alternative fuel vehicles and therefore require an emissions inspection (Note: this is not a complete list):
- Ford Escape
- Honda Insight
- Honda Civic
- Honda Accord
- Lexus RX
- Mercury Mariner
- Toyota Highlander
- Toyota Prius
Author – Clean Air Force FAQ